The first Global Legislative Assembly (GLA) of the Wesleyan Covenant Association was held on Friday, November 2, 2018, at Mt. Bethel United Methodist Church, in Marietta, Ga.
The GLA is the representative body through which members have voice and collectively make decisions for the WCA. The GLA meets annually. Delegates to the GLA are apportioned to the regional chapters of the WCA in proportion to the number of individual and congregational members of the WCA, and the number of members of those congregations.
One hundred and sixty-one delegates were present at the first GLA from throughout the world. These delegates addressed several matters, including the following:
- Election of the Class of 2021 of the WCA Council – The WCA Council is the board of directors of the WCA and provides oversight for the work of the WCA between meetings of the GLA. The WCA Council is composed of twenty-eight individuals, including the President, divided into three classes, each of which serves a three-year term. The nominees for the Class of 2021 may be viewed HERE.
- Resolution Declaring WCA’s Position on Matters to be Considered by the Special General Conference of The United Methodist Church – The WCA Council has recommended the resolution which may viewed HERE addressing the various legislative proposals which will be considered by the Special General Conference of The United Methodist Church as it addresses the church’s teachings on sexual ethics, the definition of marriage, and ordination standards.
- Resolution on Statement of Doctrinal Standards – The WCA Council has recommended the adoption of this resolution which may be viewed HERE.
- Resolution on Fundamental Features & Principles of a New Methodist Denomination – The WCA Council has recommended the adoption of this resolution which may be viewed HERE.
- Resolution Empowering Preparation for Next Steps – The WCA Council has recommended the adoption of this resolution which may be viewed HERE addressing the next steps in our planning to envision a revitalized Methodist movement within and/or outside The United Methodist Church.